You Get What You Pay For!
When searching for a Contractor, Beeson Construction would like to share a few tips for you to use before you hire a professional contractor. When you are looking for someone to renovate or perform any type of project on your home, you need first and foremost someone you can trust. Going by price alone, does not mean that this is the best person or company for the job. If you only focus on the cost, you may end up paying out more money in the long run.
Picking out the best contractor takes a lot of planning and knowledge of the companies in the area. If you do your research, you will be sure to find a contractor who will get the job done efficiently and effectively.
Here are tips to choosing the right contractor for your next home renovation project:
- Connection– It should be fairly easy to talk to the contractor you are working with. They should see eye to eye and understand the goals of the project you are having performed. You should be able to reach them easily, whether it is via phone calls, text messages or emails. A quick response is important, since this is a costly project. Try to set up a face-to-face meeting prior to the start of your job as well.
- Understand the Pricing – Have your contractor recommend more then one way to fix your home improvement. Is there an option to have a temporary fix right now or will more damage occur if cutting corners occurs. Always ask for a detailed list of the materials they will use. This way you can compare the companies’ type of materials they are using.
- Ask for Credentials – The abbreviations that are associated with the companies do mean something. These represent certifications from different organizations that hold them to strict code of ethics. It’s best to hire a contractor who is licensed, bonded, insured and has a good track record/rating with the better Business Bureau.
- Have a contract or proof of details of the project– A contract should include: time frame, description of project, list of materials used, total cost, payment options, contractor’s license number and contractors names involved on the project.
- Staying in your budget– If you need to stay in a strict budget, see if you can complete the project in multiple stages. These may not be the most cost effective way in the long run, but it prevents you from having to pay up front costs and these payments can be spread out to your time frame.
- Know what permits are needed– Double check what permits and regulations are needed to begin your project. Although your contractor should be aware of these regulations, it’s best to familiarize yourself, just in case any issues or time frames change.
- Prep for your project– Have all the materials or paint picked out, this will save time in the long run. Allow space for all of their equipment, the more accessible these items are the quicker they will be able to complete the project.
- Do not destroy items before the project has started– Wait until all of the new equipment and supplies are at your home. You never know if there may be a delay or something comes up prior to the start date.
- Respect your neighbors– Let the contractors know where your property starts and ends. This way they will set up their equipment in the proper area and not disrupt your neighbors’ property.
- Focus on the end result– Although there will be a lot of mess and displacement while the project is taking place, focus on the end result.
- Make sure the project is completed – It is important to schedule a walk through once your project is completed. Make sure everything is completed up to your standards. Ask for a final release and receipt once final payment is made.
Knowing these tips, you should have no problem finding a trusted and knowledgeable contractor who will complete your project on time and correctly.
Making a decision for your home improvements can be very difficult.Siding
Let us help you through the entire process from start to finish.Soffit, Fascia & Gutters
These areas can get neglected and can get worse with time if not tended to.Windows
Every home and homeowner is unique and requires special attention.Painting
Beeson and Vick has your interior and exterior painting needs covered.